Cyber-security meeting Chicago
Event: One-day meeting with a cyber-security group from the German Armed Forces (visiting group) and people from local federal, academic and corporate organziations.
Theme: Current work, solutions and challenges related to cybercrime, cyber-attacks, cyber-security, and computer forensics. This includes issues related to the security and vulnerability of:
- hardware, physical networks and technical infrastructures
- data, e.g. for cloud computing and online trading incl. the topic of fraudulent business networks
- reputation of organization and individuals
- social networks, social movements of sub-state and non-state actors
When and Where?
Location: Illini Center, 200 South Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL
Time: 9.00 am to 3.00 pm on Monday, June 11th, 2012.
Given people's busy schedules, we do not expect attendees and presenters to stay for the entire meeting, but to rather join us for any portion of the meeting as it fits their schedules and interests.
|09.00 am – 09.15 am||Opening and Introductions (Jana Diesner, Volker Kozok)|
|09.15 am – 09.45 am||LtCol Volker Kozok, German Ministry of Defense: "The dark side of the internet - Cybercrime, hacktivism and targeted attacks"|
|09.45 am – 10.15 am||Todd Hillis, Director of Cyber Intelligence at ICG Inc.: "Hacking, BotNets, and the state of Internet Security" (speaker info)|
|10.15 am – 11.00 am||Discussion with Todd Hillis|
|11.00 am – 11.15 am||Networking Break|
|11.15 am – 11.45 am||David M. Nicol, Director of Information Trust Institute (ITI), UIUC: "Vulnerability Analysis of Network Infrastructure" (speaker info)|
|11.45 am - 12.15 pm||Discussion with David Nicol|
|12.15 pm – 01.00 pm||Lunch|
|01.00 pm – 01.20 pm||Elmar Gerhards-Padilla, Fraunhofer Institute, Germany: “Malware Analysis and Countermeasures”|
|01.20 pm – 01.40 pm||Jana Diesner, iSchool at UIUC: "Mapping and investigating covert networks via network analysis and text mining”|
|01.40 pm – 02.00 pm||Jörg Eschweiler, CASSIDIAN/ EADS: "Cyber Defense and Cyber Security from a corporate perspective”|
|02.00 pm – 02.10 pm||Closing Remarks|
Who is coming and what is the purpose of the meeting?
The visiting group comprises people from all branches of the Armed Forces, security officers from corporations, and academic researchers. The meeting will feature presentations, demos and time for discussion and networking.
Attendees includes representatives from:
German Federal/ Armed Forces:
- Ministry of Defense
- Navy and Naval Office
- Federal Office of Information Management and Information Technology
- Armed Forces Personnel Management Agency
- Armed Forces Support Command
Research and Education:
- Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics
- German Armed Forces Command Staff College
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- CASSIDIAN (an EADS Company)
- BWI Systems
- ICG Inc.
How to register?
We are inviting interested attendees and speakers to join this event. To register or for further information please contact Jana Diesner via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Volker Kozok: LtCol Kozok works in the German Federal Ministry of Defence as an official for the Commissioner for Data Protection in the German Armed Forces. As an IT Forensic Investigator and Security Analyst he focuses on reviewing and evaluating complex IT systems, on network analysis and on auditing. In his work with national and international teams on cyber security he deals extensively with the issues of cyber security and cyber crime, focusing on risk management and analysis of network-based attacks.
- Todd Hillis
- David Nicol
- Jörg Eschweiler: He has 15+ years of experience in strategy, business and technology consulting with a focus on intelligence and cyber security. He has been a trusted advisor to major companies, as well as organizations in the defence and intelligence community. Eschweiler holds a number of certifications including IPMA and OpenGroup.
- Elmar Gerhards-Padilla
- Jana Diesner