Bestsellers: Web Resources
- Citation Styles Handbook: MLA (from the UIUC Center for Writing Studies)
- John Mullan, "The Invention of Popular Culture" (The Guardian, Saturday October 28, 2000)
- Publishers Weekly Bestseller News
- Bestsellers 1900-1930 (full-text electronic editions from the Etext Center)
- Bestsellers 1900-1923 (full-text electronic editions of fiction, non-fiction, and war books in Project Gutenberg)
- James L. W. West III, "American Authors and the Literary Marketplace"
- American Authors on the Web
- Thomas Dixon, brief bio from the Encyclopedia of Southern Culture
- Wikipedia article on Winston Churchill
- Sinclair Lewis Society
- Sinclair Lewis' autobiographical sketch for the Nobel Prize
- Stories of Sinclair Lewis from his hometown newspaper
- Lloyd C. Douglas, from Books and Writers
- Morris West, from Books and Writers
- "The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers" (Charles Mingus)
- Richard Bach fan site
- Ray Bohlin's "Eulogy to Carl Sagan"*
* (Bohlin is a U of I grad.)
- Terry Belanger's handout, "Aids for establsihing the first edition of a book."
- A Guide To First Editions (copied with permission from Books-Rare, the book collector's home Copyright (C) 1997 by Glenn Larsen)
- A Glossary of Book Terms
- "Descriptive Bibliography," by Terry Belanger
- "Bookbinding and the Conservation of books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology," Matt T. Roberts and Don Etherington
- The Book Arts Web: A Glossary of Binding Terms
- University of Florida, Smathers Library Preservation Dept., Glossary of Binding Terms
- Identifont: an online resource for identifying typefaces
- "A Field Guide to the Faces," David Mundie
- "A Sample Bibliographical Description with Commentary," by G. Thomas Tanselle (Studies in Bibliography vol. 40, 1987)
- Literary Prizes
- "From Gift to Game: Prizes in Contemporary Culture," Jim English (see also "Winning the Culture Game", New Literary History, 2002, 33: 109-135, or buy the book).
- Abebooks.com: where to find your first edition (use the Advanced Search and check the "First Edition" option)
- The Internet Public Library (searchable index)
- Modern English Collection at the Etext Center (UVa)
- Booksense Bestseller Lists (from independent bookstores)
- NY Times Bestseller Lists
- Rave Reviews: an exhibition on American Popular Fiction, co-curated by the instructor of this class
- "Behind the Bestsellers" -- lists articles on bestsellers by Daisy Maryles
- "What It Takes," Daisy Maryles (Publisher's Weekly, Feb 25, 2002)
- "Who's On First?" Daisy Maryles (Publisher's Weekly, Feb 18, 2002)
- Malcolm Gladwell, "The Science of the Sleeper"
- Alice Payne Hackett, "Bestsellers in the Bookstores"
- Kevin Jackson, "Blurbs 101"
- D.T. Max, "The Oprah Effect"
- John Tebbel, "A Brief History of American Bookselling"
- "Biblio Tech: Toby Press Gambles on Online-Only Bookselling"
- Denise Little, "The Profit Motive" Bulletin of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Fall 2001 (#151).
- "Demystifying Publishing," Anna Louise, LiveJournal, April 20, 2006.
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Maintained by -unsworth, at uiuc.edu-