Bestsellers: Supplemental Reading
About Assigned Reading:
About Bestsellers Generally:
- Bear, John. #1 New York Times Best Seller. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press, 1992
- Bonn, Thomas L. Heavy traffic & high culture: New American Library as literary gatekeeper in the paperback revolution. Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, c1989.
- Cohn, Jan. Romance and the erotics of property. Durham : Duke University Press, 1988.
- Darby, William. Necessary American fictions: popular literature of the 1950s. Bowling Green, Oh. : Bowling Green University Popular Press, 1987.
- Fiedler, Leslie A. The inadvertent epic: from Uncle Tom's cabin to Roots. New York : Simon and Schuster, 1980.
- Fiedler, Leslie A. What was literature?: Class culture and mass society. New York : Simon and Schuster, c1982.
- Gender, language, and myth : essays on popular narrative. Ed. Glenwood Irons. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c1992.
- Haut, Woody, Pulp culture : hardboiled fiction and the Cold War. London ; New York, NY : Serpent's Tail, 1995.
- Hawkins, Harriett. Classics and trash : traditions
and taboos in high literature and popular modern genres. London
: Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1990.
- Hinckley, Karen and Barbara. American best sellers: a reader's guide to popular fiction. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1989. PS 374 .B45 H56 1989
- Justice, Keith L. Bestseller index: all books, by author, on the lists of Publishers weekly and the New York times through 1990. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., 1998. Z1033 .B3 J87 1998
- Korda, Michael. Making the List: A Cultural History of the American Bestseller, 1900-1999. New York, NY: Barnes and Noble, 2001. Z1033 .B3 K67 2001
- Miner, Madonne M. Insatiable appetites
: twentieth-century American women's bestsellers. Westport, Conn. :
Greenwood Press, 1984.
- Modleski, Tania, Loving with a vengeance: mass-produced fantasies for women. Hamden, Conn. : Archon Books, 1982.
Mott, Frank Luther. Golden multitudes; the story of best sellers in the United States. New York : Macmillan, 1947. Z1033.B3 M6 1947.
- Political mythology and popular fiction.
Ed. Ernest J. Yanarella and Lee Sigelman. New York : Greenwood Press, c1988.
- The Politics of everyday fear. Brian
Massumi, editor. Minneapolis : University of Minneapolis Press, c1993.
- Radway, Janice A., Reading the romance: women, patriarchy, and popular literature. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c1984.
- Radway, Janice A. A Feeling for Books: The Book-of-the-Month Club, Literary Taste, & Middle-Class Desire. University of North Carolina Press, 1997.
- Roberts, Thomas J. An aesthetics of junk fiction. Athens : University of Georgia Press, c1990.
- Sutherland, John Bestsellers: Popular Fiction of the 1970s. London : Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1981.
- Wagner-Martin, Linda. The mid-century American novel, 1935-1965. New York : Twayne ; London : Prentice Hall International, c1997.
- Whiteside, Thomas, The blockbuster complex: conglomerates, show business, and book publishing. Middletown, Conn. : Wesleyan University Press, c1981.
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Maintained by -unsworth, at uiuc.edu-